Chart Cheat Sheet
Boxplot uses more advanced visualization techniques than those listed here. With more advanced data analysis tools, you can create specialized charts (like for finance and scientific applications), add animations, include hover information, and code custom buttons to create even more useful data visusalizations.
General Visualization Rules
- Simpler is better.
- Choose intuitive colors. We dislike color associations (like water=blue) as much as the next person, but they make charts easier to read.
- For geographic data: various maps (bubble, choropleth, scatter, line, etc.) are usually best.
- 3D is never okay.
- Choose contrasting colors - don’t make the slices of a pie chart 7 slightly different shades of blue.
- Double y axes should generally be avoided.
Visualization Decision Table
* Bold text indicates these are best choices. Non-bold text indicates these might work depending on the situation.
* Hover over or click on underlined text for more information.